2016: Golden honour for 40 years of supporting Aldeburgh lifeboat

As published by East Anglian Daily Times,  8 February 2016

2016-sandra-saint-1

Sandra Saint, who has been honoured by the RNLI with a Gold Badge for her work. Copyright EADT 2016

A tireless volunteer has been recognised for her “dedication, commitment and length of service” to a lifesaving case on the Suffolk coast.

sandra-saint-2

Sandra Saint (centre), who has been honoured by the RNLI with a Gold Badge. Pictured with Veda Crane, chairman of the Aldeburgh and District Lifeboat Guild, and son Steve Saint, who is the coxswain of the lifeboat at Aldeburgh. Copyright EADT 2016

Sandra Saint has been awarded the prestigious Gold Badge from the trustee board of the RNLI, in acknowledgement of four decades supporting Aldeburgh Lifeboat Station.

Mrs Saint joined the Aldeburgh and District Lifeboat Guild in January 1975 – when it was known as the Lifeboat Ladies’ Guild – and has since been committed to help raise money for the cause, catering single-handedly at the charity’s many fundraising functions, including quiz nights attended by up to 50 people. Her husband, Nigel Saint, was the lifeboat mechanic from May 1961 until October 1993. Their son, Steven, joined the Aldeburgh crew in 1989 and is now the coxswain – meaning that, between them, the Saint family has served the RNLI for a century.

Veda Crane, chairman of the Aldeburgh and District Lifeboat Guild, said: “A Gold Badge is awarded for a significant level of dedication, commitment and length of service. This award is a long-awaited recognition of Sandra’s tireless and willing commitment within the sphere of her voluntary work for the RNLI.”

The RNLI awards three levels of badge – bronze, silver and gold – in recognition of service by guild members.

The concluding paragraph of Mrs Saint’s citation for the Gold Badge reads: “The committee cannot speak highly enough of her popularity, kindness and dedication to the RNLI. “We have no hesitation in recommending Sandra for a Gold Badge award in a long-awaited recognition of her continuing commitment to the RNLI. Sandra is an invaluable member of our committee and guild.”

The first lifeboat in the Aldeburgh area was stationed at Sizewell in 1826 – two years after the Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) was formed. The lifeboat station was moved to Aldeburgh in 1851 and has since been in continuous service

The Aldeburgh and District Lifeboat Guild was formed in 1962 with the purpose of raising funds to help the local RNLI save lives at sea.

Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed