Water Tower

The Water Tower
Park Road | Aldeburgh | Suffolk | IP15 5ET

Please note the Water Tower is now a private residence.

Brief history

Year Date Event
1870 Oct 11 Tenders invited by Aldeburgh Waterworks Company (Limited) for construction of waterworks
1870 Nov Construction of waterworks reportedly begins by Messrs. Smyth under superintendence of W. Bruff, Engineer
1870 Dec Formal application to Department of Trade to construct waterworks
1871 Apr 13 Provisional oder made empowering Aldeburgh Waterworks Company (Limited) to construct waterworks
~1871/72 Water tower with 11,000 gallon tank completed
1901 Nov Aldeburgh Waterworks Company (Limited) wound up
1909 Jul 5 Report provided to Aldeburgh Corporation on raising and enlarging existing water tower and tank
~1909/10 Water tower increased in height to accommodate larger 35,000 gallon tank supported by new steel framework inside
c. 1980’s Water tower becomes redundant
1996 Jul 9 Listed as Grade II Building
2007 Apr 2 Water tower sold by owners Northumbrian Water at auction by Savills at Millennium Hotel, Grosvenor Square, London for £407,000 to pharmacist Mr E H Borno
2010 Oct Planning application on behalf of owner Mr E H Borno for restoration, alterations and change of use of water tower to form two new residential units including a new ground floor extension with planted sedum roof and rooftop glazed studio submitted
2011 Mar 11 Desk Study Report commissioned by owner Mr E H Borno published by Matthew Elcock BEng FGS of Geotechnical & Environmental Associates Limited
2012 Jun 8 Planning application on behalf of Mr E H Borno for restoration, alterations and change of use of the water tower to form a new residential dwelling including a new ground floor extension with a planted sedum roof and a glazed rooftop studio granted
2016 Oct Work on converting water tower nears completion

Location

The above map extract (1881) shows the location of the water works. Far left are the abstraction reservoirs coloured blue. These were connected by pipe to the pumping station, coloured red, to the left of the water works descriptor. The pumping station was connected by pipe to the water tower, coloured red, immediately below the ‘s’ of the water works descriptor. The pipe from the water tower originally led down the Town Steps to the High Street. Marsh Lane on the 1881 map is now Park Road, and Priors Hill Road has since been constructed (see 1926 map below).

The Water Tower c.1905. Image courtesy of Chris Whately-Smith.

Postcard View of the Water Tower.

June 1920. Britain from Above.

Viewed from the East 21 May 2006. © David Squire and licensed for re-use under a Creative Commons Licence

26 February 2011 © Adrian S Pye and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.

Shrouded in scaffolding 24 March 2016. © Cud05 and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.

Before commencement of works 2014. © Graham Catchpole

Conversion to private residence nearing completion. 2016. © Graham Catchpole

 

Comments are closed