Fort Green Mill was built in 1824.
The mill is NOT a listed building.
It was a four-storey tower mill with a domed cap. It carried four double patent sails on a cast iron windshaft driving two pairs of millstones for grinding corn. The cap had a six-bladed fantail.
The mill structure was originally encircled by a stone wall with wooden gate (see image below).
The mill was converted to a private residence in 1902. See image taken in 1938.
Fort Green Mill is currently undergoing renovation works. The following ‘then’ and ‘now’ images below are courtesy of Sudbury-based ELC Contractors.
Page last updated: 28 May 2021