ALDBOROUGH, has its Name from the River Ald, which runs near the South End of it, affording a good Quay at Slaughden; the sea washes the East-side of it, and hath in this Age swallowed up one whole Street. The present Town consists of two Streets only, which are near a Mile in Length; it stands pleasantly, and it is well situated for Strength, having several Pieces of Cannon for its Defence. The Church stands on a Hill to the West of the Town, and is a good Structure.
William Martel gave the manor of Aldebure to the Abbot and Convent of St. John’s in Colchester, A.D. 1155. The Manor of Aldeburgh, with the Manors of Scoto and Taftards in this Neighbourhood, were granted to Cardinal Wolsey, as Parcel of the Possessions of the Priory of Snape, which was a Cell to the Abbey of Colchester, and they were granted to Thomas Duke of Norfolk 24 Henry VIII. The Rectory and Advowson of the Vicarage, which belonged to the said Abbey, were granted to Edward Downing and Peter Ashton in Exchange, in 23 Elizabeth. They are now vested in the Right Hon. The Earl of Strafford.
Aldborough is a Town Corporate, governed by two Bailiffs, twelve capital Burgesses, and twenty-four inferior Officers; but it did not send Members to Parliament before 13 Elizabeth. Mr. Willis supposes it was made a Borough in 10 Elizabeth; when she granted the Duke of Norfolk a Saturday Market at this his Manor.
The Suffolk Traveller, 2nd Edition, 1764
Subscribers to this publication included:
- Zach. Phil. Fonnereau, Esq; Member of Parliament for Aldeburgh
- Mr. J. Wynter, of Aldborough