Our Lady & St. Peter Church | The Terrace | Aldeburgh | Suffolk | IP15 5HJ
Father Tony Rogers | The Presbytery | 15 The Terrace | Aldeburgh | Suffolk | IP15 5HJ
A Catholic Parish was first established in Aldeburgh by the Ursuline Nuns who arrived in 1904.
The first portion of the current church building, comprising nave (part), tower and principal porch, was officially opened on 25 March 1925 by the Bishop of Northampton – see 1925: The new church at Aldeburgh. The Mayor of Aldeburgh was present. The parish priest at that time was Father C. M. Davidson. The architect was Mr. Young who sadly died before the church was opened.
Provision was made for later additions, such as extension of the nave, erection of a sanctuary and inclusion of two side aisles forming side chapels. The church was later extended (date to be established).
During World War 2, the tower suffered bomb damage and it was reduced in height.
The parish has since been extended to include All Saints, Leiston.
Old Postcard Views
Click here to see more images, external and internal, on Simon K’s Flickr photostream