1907: Post Office Telephone Directory

ALDEBURGH

The Exchange is open from 8.0 a.m. to 8.30 p.m. on Week Days, and from 8.0 a.m. to 10.0 a.m. on Sundays.

The Sectional Engineer, Post Office, Burrell Road, Ipswich

The Lineman, Post Office, Aldeburgh

1

CALL OFFICE

Post Office.

2

Adair, Sir F.E.S. Bart.

Adair Lodge.

3

Aldeburgh Golf Club (John Fry, Secretary).

Aldeburgh.

4

Anderson, Mrs. E. Garrett M.D.

Alde House.

5

Gregory, G.H., Dispensing Chemist.

125, High Street.

6

Brudenell Hotel (E.G. Smyth, Proprietor).

Sea Front.

7

Burwood, Dr. T.W.

Oceanstrand.

8

Butcher, Mrs., Grocer and Draper.

South End Stores.

9

East Suffolk Hotel (C.A. Ward, Proprietor).

High Street.

10

Flintham, Hall & Co. Ltd., Brewers and Merchants.

Albert Brewery, Victoria Road.

 x11

Hervey, D., C.M.G., J.P., and Mrs.

Westfields.

11

           Do.             Do.        Girls’ Home School.

Belstead House.

12

Hotel Wentworth Castle (J. Driver, Proprietor).

Sea Front.

13

[not allocated]

14

Knowles, G.O., Builder and Contractor.

High Street

15

           Do.             do.              

“Kenilworth.”

16

Police (County)

High Street.

17

Preparatory School for Boys (Rev, F.J.W. Glass, Head Master).

Aldeburgh Lodge.

18

Reading, A.V., Confectioner and Fruiterer.

The Lansdowne.

19

Vernon-Wentworth, Capt. F.C.U., R.N.

Blackheath.

20

White Lion Hotel (Mrs. Beatton, Proprietress).

Sea Front.

21

Cullen, W., Baker and Confectioner.

198, High Street.

22

Woodcock & Henry, Estate Agents.

High Street.

x23

Jefferies, W., Fruiterer and Temperance Hotel Proprietor.

66 & 68, High Street.

23

           Do.           Fruiterer.

204, High Street.

24

Adnams & Co., Ltd.

164, High Street.

25

Pettit, S.B.I., Laundress.

Laundry.

26

Money-Coutts, Mrs. E.E.

The Rest.

27

Barclay, & Co., Ltd., Bankers

Aldeburgh.

28

Ex Directory.

Please note the entries in the Directory were shown alphabetically by emboldened word but have been listed here in telephone number order to show order of allocation. Note 13 appears to have been omitted for superstitious reasons.

1764: The Suffolk Traveller – Aldborough

ALDBOROUGH, has its Name from the River Ald, which runs near the South End of it, affording a good Quay at Slaughden; the sea washes the East-side of it, and hath in this Age swallowed up one whole Street. The present Town consists of two Streets only, which are near a Mile in Length; it stands pleasantly, and it is well situated for Strength, having several Pieces of Cannon for its Defence. The Church stands on a Hill to the West of the Town, and is a good Structure.

William Martel gave the manor of Aldebure to the Abbot and Convent of St. John’s in Colchester, A.D. 1155. The Manor of Aldeburgh, with the Manors of Scoto and Taftards in this Neighbourhood, were granted to Cardinal Wolsey, as Parcel of the Possessions of the Priory of Snape, which was a Cell to the Abbey of Colchester, and they were granted to Thomas Duke of Norfolk 24 Henry VIII. The Rectory and Advowson of the Vicarage, which belonged to the said Abbey, were granted to Edward Downing and Peter Ashton in Exchange, in 23 Elizabeth. They are now vested in the Right Hon. The Earl of Strafford.

Aldborough is a Town Corporate, governed by two Bailiffs, twelve capital Burgesses, and twenty-four inferior Officers; but it did not send Members to Parliament before 13 Elizabeth. Mr. Willis supposes it was made a Borough in 10 Elizabeth; when she granted the Duke of Norfolk a Saturday Market at this his Manor.

The Suffolk Traveller, 2nd Edition, 1764

Subscribers to this publication included:

  • Zach. Phil. Fonnereau, Esq; Member of Parliament for Aldeburgh
  • Mr. J. Wynter, of Aldborough